Church History

Covenant Presbyterian Church began as a Bible Study group in 1978 under the leadership of Organizing Pastor Dr. William Iverson. By the following June, there were enough committed to begin meeting for public worship. Our first service and Sunday School was held on July 8, 1979. In July of 1981, Rev. Michael Simone became the Organizing Pastor. In the first three years the church met for worship in the Bauer Recreation Building in Taylor Park in Millburn. Later Christ Episcopal Church in Short Hills hosted us in their Children’s Chapel. Finally we moved to the White Oak Ridge Chapel facility.

In September of 1985, we were officially organized as a particular church by the New Jersey Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in America as five Ruling Elders were elected and installed. Rev. Michael Conord was called to be pastor in the Spring of 1986. In 1992, Dr. David Miner was called to be the pastor. In 2011, Dr. Miner announced his plan to retire as pastor. Rev. Donald Friederichsen ordained and installed as the fifth pastor of Covenant Presbyterian Church in March 2012.

When we made our first budget as a mission congregation, we set aside 10% of our budget for missions giving to other churches and ministries. Every year our Lord faithfully provided with all we have needed and beyond, enabling us to continue this policy.

Throughout our history, we have been associated with the Presbyterian Church in America. Upon our organization, we were part of the New Jersey Presbytery and currently we are part of the Metropolitan New York Presbytery. We wholeheartedly affirm the motto of our denomination: “True to the Scriptures, the Reformed Faith, and the Great Commission”

Building History

The White Oak Ridge Chapel building dates to 1831.  Originally founded as a Sunday School association, the White Oak Ridge Chapel continued an independent Bible church through 1986, at which time the property was assumed by Covenant.  Following the transfer of the property, the need for expansion and renovation was clear.  That rebuilding was completed in time for the Easter service in 1989. God has blessed us with an attractive and comfortable building.

 

White Oak Ridge Chapel building – 1956

White Oak Ridge Chapel - 1956

 

 

Covenant Presbyterian Church building – 2011

DSCN0399shrunk